Outstanding Coaching for Teaching Assistants
The number of full-time teaching assistants has more than trebled since 2000. Schools now spend £4.4bn on support staff. Typically a school will spend around 16 % of its overall budget on TA’s.
But research shows that despite the spending, it’s not necessarily having the desired effect on student achievement.
The good news is there is plenty of evidence to prove that with the right training and support teaching assistants can make a real difference on student outcomes. Outstanding use of teaching assistants adds on average four months of extra academic progress across the year.
So how can Heads provide targeted high quality support quickly and effectively without affecting capacity?
Coach First Teaching Assistant Coaching Programme
The Coach First Teaching Assistant Coaching Programme is based on the latest research and evidence which offers recommendations to schools on how best to deploy TA’s in the classroom, in delivering structured interventions and crucially integrating interventions to student’s formal learning.
These three areas are tackled over our three week programme and are broken down into seven key areas:
THE USE OF TEACHING ASSISTANTS IN EVERYDAY CLASSROOM CONTEXTS
- How to ensure TAs are not merely used as an informal teaching resource for low attaining pupils.
- How to use TAs to add value to what teachers do, not replace them.
- How to use TAs to help pupils develop independent learning skills and manage their own learning.
- To ensure TAs are fully prepared for their role in the classroom.
THE USE OF TEACHING ASSISTANTS IN DELIVERING STRUCTURED INTERVENTIONS OUT OF CLASS
- How to use TAs to deliver high quality one-to-one and small group support using structured interventions.
- How to adopt evidence-based interventions to support TAs in their small group and one-to-one instruction.
LINKING LEARNING FROM WORK LED BY TEACHERS AND TAs
- How to ensure explicit connections are made between learning from everyday classroom teaching and structured interventions.
- £2,475 plus VAT
- Pays the for the three week coaching package for up to six TAs
- Additional TAs above 6 are charged at £825 each plus VAT
How does the coaching programme work?
A guide for headteachers
The 3 week Coach First programme for TAs creates a climate and environment in which excellent and outstanding support for teaching can take place in your school or academy.
- We will email you a biography of the Education 101 Coach who will deliver the one to one coaching in your school/academy.
- The Education 101 Coach will contact you by email and will introduce themselves to you and agree dates with you when they can come and deliver the programme in your school/academy.
- Education 101 Coach will deliver an INSET to your teaching staff setting out the outstanding coaching programme.
- Where possible the Head is to provide pen-portraits of each TA involved in the coaching programme or a verbal and frank outline of their needs.
- The Education 101 Coach will need a base to work from at your school/academy (a private room would be ideal and a copy of the school/academy timetable.
- The programme is most successful when the head or a member of the SLT can be present in this paired observation, so that a starting point can be agreed of each TA in the coaching programme. The Education 101 Coach will also need the head or SLT to be available for a paired observation with the same teacher has completed the coaching programme.
- It is essential that the TAs involved in the outstanding coaching programme have their 1:1 meetings scheduled into their timetables. The Education 101 Coach can arrange their schedules directly with the TAs during the initial ‘getting to you know; sessions or be provided with a schedule by your staff team.
- Lesson observations and time for planning and feedback with the TAs on the programme will need to be scheduled weekly.
- The coaching programme is delivered across three weeks.
- All our Education 101 Coaches have full DBS checks and always have a lanyard with photo ID and their DBS number at all times.
- When the TAs have completed the outstanding teacher assistant coaching programme they will receive course completion certificates.
All our Education 101 Coaches are highly trained, experienced middle or senior leaders and understand the pressures headteachers and senior leaders face. Education 101 Coaches are always positive, pro-active and solution focused, upholding the highest professional standards in line with our core values and philosophy.